Monday, January 3, 2011

Introducing Tate Donald Johnson





Our newest addition arrived on 12/22/10 at 11:33am, weighing in at 9 lbs, 5 oz and 21 inches long. I went in on the morning of 12/21 to be induced and after about 8 hours on Pitocin at full blast I was still only 1 cm. The nurse turned off the Pitocin around 5pm. I was feeling very frustrated and was extremely anxious that this would be an even tougher delivery than I had with Declan. The doctor said to get some dinner and we'd start again in the morning. Funny thing was, I started having regular contractions that were stronger after they stopped the Pitocin. When the doctor stopped by to check me around 8pm, I was 3 cm! We went to sleep feeling much better.

We started Pitocin again at 6am the next morning and things moved very quickly with a fairly small dose. I got my epidural around 8ish, the doctor came and broke my water and a couple hours later we had Tate after about 15 minutes of pushing. It was an awesome experience. Tate was a big boy, and because things went quickly he had some bruising on his face but he was very healthy. We had a great hospital stay - Declan and my parents came to visit and although Piedmont is a bit more dated than Northside we had a fabulous experience with all the staff and the food!

After the delivery with Dr Roberts and Nurse Kate


Getting cleaned up

Pushing the music button for our new arrival

2 comments:

Leah and Andy said...

Congratulations! You all look fabulous.

mollymmccabe@gmail.com said...

I'm so glad you posted this Andrea...I feel so far away and liked hearing a little of 'the story'. Sounds like it went great! I love the music button at the hospital. You are such a gorgeous mommy with a beautiful family. Declan looks so happy to be a big brother. Can't wait to get both our 'families of 4' together again! xo